There are some well known examples of horizontal gene transfer. Retroviruses have inserted massive amounts of their genes into host genomes and bacteria of different species are well know for swapping genes. Similarly, mitochondria and chloroplasts in eukaryotic cells, which are likely the result of ancient endosymbiosis, retain a small independent genome, but have transferred the majority of their genes to the host nucleus. However, this process was previously unheard of in multicellular organisms. Enter the Gastropod Mollusk, Elysia chlorotica, which lends biological truth to its nickname, “the crawling leaf”.
I have moved.
Arthropoda can now be found here.
Michael Bok is a graduate student studying the visual system of mantis shrimp.
- Did <em>Phronima</em> inspire the design of the Alien Queen?
- Samurai Crabs: Transmogrified Japanese warriors, the product of artificial selection, or pareidolia?
- Why Stomatopods are Awesome, I: Super Strength
- Heavyweight Hexapods: The largest insects
- The kiss of death: Deceptive predatory tactics of assassin bugs
- Administrative (12)
- Arthropoda ID (3)
- Arthropods (79)
- Chelicerates (12)
- Crustaceans (37)
- Hexapods (30)
- Coleopterans (Beetles) (4)
- Collembolans (Springtails) (1)
- Dipterans (Flies) (5)
- Hemipterans (True Bugs) (5)
- Hymenopterans (Bees,Wasps,Ants) (10)
- Mantodea (Mantises) (1)
- Orthopterans (Grass Hoppers) (1)
- Phasmidans (Stick Insects) (1)
- Phthirapterans (Lice) (1)
- Protodonatans (Griffinflies) (1)
- Zygoptera (Damselflies) (1)
- Myriapods (1)
- Trilobites (2)
- Carnivals (11)
- Communicating Science (4)
- Creationism (4)
- Evolution (19)
- Fossils (3)
- Humor (10)
- It Came from the Reef Tank (2)
- Off Topic (5)
- On the Home-Front (1)
- Photography (16)
- Pseudoscience (1)
- Roundup (1)
- Squishies (Mollusks) (4)
- Uncategorized (10)
- Vision (8)
Ant Antarctica Aphids Apis Arboreal Ant Assassin bugs Attenborough Biofuel Biomechanics Blue Crab Callinectes Cephalotes Comic CotB CotS Crab Dance Deep Sea Discovery Diving Beetle Dragonfly Drosophila Epigenetics Eusocial Eyes Fail Flight Fluorescence Fossil Fruit Fly Genomics Gliding Honeybee InvWar Jumping Spiders Larvae Lateral Gene Transfer LHC Limnoria Limnoriids Lysiosquillina Lyssianasids Macro Mantis Shrimp Neogonodactylus Odontodactylus Optics Ostracod Palin Parasite Photoshop Phylogenetics Physics Plankton Pop Culture Predation Reduviidae Reef Reproduction Rugby Satire Science Education Science Journalism Sea Spider Sperm Spider Crab SPP Stomatopod Strength Superorganism Synthetics UV Vents Vision Water Tiger